List of Tenants in Canna, as per the Judicial Rental of 1798
1. Tarbert, an 18 penny land - Hector Macneill £72-0-0
2. Corrogdan a 7 " "
said " £28-0-0
3. Keil a 12 "
4. Change House of Canna " "
5. Heiseker Island " " no rent mentioned
6. Sandy Island - Alex Macdonald - A nine penny land at £5-5s
per penny £47 -5-0
There being a dispute as to the number of pennies, tenant in use
to pay only £42-28-0d.
7* Upper Island a 4 penny land, Donald Macdonald and others £21-0-0
(N.B.) The valuations on the Clanranald estates were all penny
lands subdivided into
1) half penny and farthing lands. To stock a penny land, according
to information given Permant as the time he visited the Hebrides,
required a sum of £3O sterling and it
carried seven cows and 2 horses.
2) It will be noted that only the tacksmens names are given for
Canna, and not the smaller
tenants, as was dons in the case of the South Uist rentals. A number
of Canna Macdonalds settled in Inverness County, N.S. but I have
not heard of any coming to Antigonish,
though no doubt some did come there also.