McDonalds of Morar and Rhetland
by John Dye

M.G.1 Vol. 559 No. 141


The enclosed fragments of history, relative to the Macdonalds of Prince Edward Island,
were written by the late Rev. R. B. Macdonald in the early 90s (approximately 1892-94).
Apparently this information was obtained by personal interviews with the 'old people' of that time.
No doubt there are inaccuracies and much that could be added. If anyone reading these pages can supply further information, a communication to the undersigned would be greatly appreciated.
R. H. MacDonald M. D.
Saskatoon, Sask.
Jan. 1934

No 142


Morar, though a large family, was often classed as a branch of the Clanranald. Glenaladale, Bornish, Uist and the Lee MacDonalds are other branches of Clanranald.

The patronymic of the Rhetlands is (in Gaelic) Raoul MacAllan Og, or Ronald, the son of young Allan - that is, the Rhetland family was founded by a younger son of Morar.
According to Aeneas MacDonald of Morar, the Rhetland Estate contained between 17,000 and 20,000 acres of land. The land is rather wild and mountainous, but well adapted for grazing purposes.
When Prince Charlie landed in Scotland to commence his ill-fated campaign, Angus MacDonald of Rhetland and his son, Capt. Allan, were among his warmest and most enthusiastic adherents, and took the field with all of their followers. When Prince Charlie retired to France, and no hopes were any longer entertained of restoring the Stuarts to the throne, Capt. Allan offered his services to the King and greatly distinguished himself at the taking of Louisberg, under Wolfe, being the second man to land.
About 1770, Capt. Allan MacDonald of Rhetland, with the view of bettering the condition of his immediate followers and his countrymen in general, who were distressed at home, both religiously and civilly, determined to emigrate to America, and, with that object in view, purchased 10,000 acres of land, or the one half of Lot 25, on which he proposed to settle his colony. It was Rhetland's intention to purchase the remaining portion of the lot, and with this object in view, he sold to Lord MacDonald of Skye, a small island he owned to provide the necessary funds.
There existed in those days in Scotland a somewhat curious method of transferring the ownership of land. The purchaser and seller met on the land to be sold, and, on the purchaser's receiving a shovelful of clay, he paid the price agreed upon and the ownership was thereby duly transferred. Lord MacDonald and Capt. Allan met on the aforesaid island to conclude the purchase, and, whilst the latter was returning with the price of the property, his boat was struck by a squall and upset, and Capt. Allan and a servant by the name of Farra Huel, were drowned, and the money was lost.
Capt. Allan was a first cousin of Capt. John MacDonald of Glenaladale. The late Honourable Emanuel McEachern informed the writer that Father John MacDonald (Tracadie) told him, that the Rhetland estate was much more valuable that the Glenaladale estate. Capt. Allan was also a first cousin to John MacDonald, the Laird of Morar - their fathers being brothers. We shall see further on how, in default of heirs to the Morar Estate, Alexander MacDonald, the son of Capt. Allan, became the heir to Rhetland and Morar.
Capt. Allan had three brothers, Ronald, Donald and Angus, and two sisters - Isabella and Margaret. Donald married, lived and died in Scotland. Donald had two children, Allan and a sister. Allan went to Canada; his sister married and died without issue. Ronald and his two sisters came to P. E. Island, as we shall see presently. Angus was a priest and became pastor of Morar. His sisters lived with him till his death, and then, as mentioned above, came to the Island with their brother Ronald.
Capt. Allan was married to Miss Cameron, a daughter of Locheil. She was a Protestant, but became a Catholic after the death of her husband. Father Allan McLean, who died some twenty years ago in Judique, C. B., of which place he had been pastor for thirty years, was, in his early priesthood, pastor of Morar, Scotland, for fifteen years. He made his home with Mrs. Capt. MacDonald, who still resided on her husband's Estate (Capt. Allan was then dead). He says, and of course, he was in a position to know, that Mrs. MacDonald was a highly educated and accomplished lady, most charitable to the poor, and dearly beloved by all who knew her.
Capt. Allan had the following children: James (or Donald), Alexander, Ronald, Pensy and Bella. James (or Donald) was the oldest son and after the drowning of the father became heir to the Estate. He was a deaf mute. He was a fine, handsome man, being six feet three in height, with a fine, large forehead. He never married, but it is said that he more than once received offers from young ladies, who, if not anxious to get him, were most anxious to get his property. He lived with his mother and sisters on the Estate. I believe the sisters did not marry. At all events, they died before the mother. Father McLean, already mentioned, prepared both the mother and daughters for death.
Alexander and Ronald were sent by their father to Paris to be educated in the Scotch College. Alexander, better known as Sandy Rhetland, was in theology, preparing for the priesthood, when the college was attacked at night by a mob, and all the inmates made their escape the best they could. Ronald jumped from the second storey and made for the port, and got on board a vessel bound for the West Indies. He made his home in Jamaica and accumulated an immense fortune through sugar plantations. He never married. His fortune was advertised some forty years ago or more. It was bequeathed to his heirs in America. The late Chief-Justice Palmer offered the writer's father to secure it, if he were advanced 300 pounds. But in those days this seemed a large sum of money, and no steps were taken to recover the fortune by Ronald's slow relatives. Recently some efforts have been made, but so far without results.
Like his brother Ronald, Sandy escaped from the College, and also made for the port. The writer does not know what the nature of the trouble was, but as all were making for the seacoast, it would seem they did not consider it safe to remain in Paris. Sandy made his way to Scotland. On the death of Capt. Allan, the project of colonising the property in Bedeque, P. E. I., was given up, and Sandy was sent to America with the power of attorney to dispose of it.
On his way across the ocean, he made the acquaintance of the Governor of Nova Scotia, and, on his arrival at Halifax, he was given a position in the Government, and, on account of his knowledge of French, he had charge of the foreign correspondence. He remained in this position for some two years, when he crossed to P. E. I. to dispose of the land - about the year 1780.
About this time, his uncle Ronald and his aunts, Isabella and Margaret, the brother and sisters of his father, Capt. Allan, came to the Island. Sandy deeded to each of his aunts 1000 acres of land.
(Handwritten margin note: Ronald and Isabella came to P. E. I. in August 1790 in the ship "Jane", sailing from Drimindarroch, Arisaig.)
Thomas Hacker, of North Bedeque, occupies the shore front of Margaret's portion, and her grandson, John MacDonald of Blue Shank, occupies the rear. Isabella, who married Ronald MacDonald of Tracadie, a nephew of the Rev. James MacDonald, who came to P. E. I. as chaplain to the Highlanders in 1772, settled on her 1000 acres by the side of her sister Margaret.
D. H. MacDonald, Bedeque, John A. MacDonald, M. P. P., Indian River, and the Rev. Ronald B. MacDonald are her grandsons - the former residing on the shore front of Isabella's portion.
Sandy also gave his uncle Ronald 1000 acres. His shore front was afterwards in the possession of the Baker family. Ronald built a small house on the site on which afterwards the old Baker house stood. He passed merely one winter here, when his wife became lonesome and he himself grew tired of his forest life, for Bedeque, like most of P. E. I., in those days was little more that a forest; and the sight of the "forest primeval" was not cheering to persons brought up in the midst of the comforts and conveniences of life as were Ronald and his sisters.
We need not be surprised to see Ronald leave Bedeque within a year, and move to Ch'town, where he carried on business of some kind until the war of 1812 broke out. He received the commission of Lieutenant in one of the Regiments then raised and was on duty till the close of the war. Mr. James Beaton, a distant relative of Ronald, had in his possession till some 25 years ago his Highland dress, when young Rossiter, a nephew of the late Emanuel McEachern, then residing in the United States, sent for it. His sword was in the possession of his son, Angus, till about the same time, when he gave it to a neighbouring blacksmith to have it burnished, but when a good while after, he went for it, he learned to his sorrow that the blacksmith had converted this valuable family souvenir into knives.
Ronald, after the close of the war, and the disbanding of his Regiment, instead of returning to Bedeque to look after his property, to please his wife, whose friends lived in the Eastern part of the Island, purchased 500 acres of land at the East Point on the South Side and settled thereon, and those of his grand children who have not emigrated to the United States, are still living there. Ronald neglected to look after his Bedeque property, not realising its great future value, and refugees from the United States bought it up for the quit-rents; and thus, this beautiful property passed out of the hands of Ronald Rhetland forever.
We have now seen that Capt. Allan of Rhetland bought 10,000 acres, or the half of Township 25, and that it was his intention to purchase the balance of the lot, and settle thereon his friends and followers. We have seen, too, how his sudden death prevented the realisation of his cherished design. We have seen his two sisters settled on the property in Bedeque, where they lived and died - we have traced his brother Ronald from Bedeque to Ch'town - thence to the army, and we have left him on his fine large property at East Point. We followed his son Ronald from the College in Paris to the West Indies, where he accumulated a big fortune, which he left to his heirs in America. (The Rev. Allan McLean, who died in 1880 pastor of Judique, C. B.., was in his early priesthood, Pastor of Morar for 15 years. He made his home with Mrs. Capt. Allan. He prepared her and her two daughters for death. He said Mrs. MacDonald lived about 50 years after the drowning of her husband). We left Mrs. MacDonald living on the Estate in Rhetland, with her son Donald, and her two daughters. We left Sandy in Bedeque, after having deeded 1000 acres each to his uncle and two aunts.
About this time Sandy went to Antigonish, N. S., where he met and married a Mrs. Morgan Murphy. They were married by Father James MacDonald, it is said. Mrs. Murphy was a widow and a niece of Bp. McEachern. Sandy returned to Bedeque and built a saw mill on the Estate, near where Clark's mill is situated. His uncle and aunts were so displeased at his marriage (I do not know whether this displeasure was on account of his wife not being good enough for him or whether it was because she was a widow), that he left Bedeque in disgust. He sold 6,500 acres to W. Schurman for 800 pounds sterling, and 500 acres to John Campbell for 125 pounds. The latter property is better known as the beautiful estate of the late Honourable Alexander Laird, of Wilmot.
On leaving Bedeque, Sandy bought a farm at the North Side of the Island, at Crooked River. This farm he soon afterwards exchanged for 400 acres of land in Judique, C. B., with one Hugh Gillis, a native of P. E. I., and whose wife was most anxious to return amongst her friends. Sandy went to Judique about 1812. He built himself a large old-fashioned house. He then undertook to build a mill. The building was finished, the dam built, and the machinery all ready to be put in, was in the house. Unfortunately, the house caught fire, and the mill machinery, with all the other contents, was burnt. The mill was never afterwards erected.
Sandy, on account of his education, was the leading man in Cape Breton in those days. He held nearly all the little offices of the County for miles around, and did nearly all the writing that was needed for the poor people. In those days, there was no school in that part of the County, and Sandy's wife, being a very good scholar, converted one of the rooms of their house into a school room, and taught the children herself. Many of the old people, and not a few of the old priests owed their early education to Mrs. MacDonald, who kept on teaching till she was eighty years of age.
Sandy's children:
Allan - his descendants in Boston, I believe.
Ronald -
John - Descendants still in Judique
Michael - died single (handwritten note: No! Married one of the Big Finger family)
Angus - (Mary Ann, Mary (Mrs. Pitts), Lizzie, Jane (Mrs. Scott), - P. E. I.
Kitty - (Mrs. Campbell), - Ch'town.
Agnes - (Mrs Cameron), - Halifax, 79 Cornwallis.
Mary - died without issue.
Jessie - died without issue.

Sandy Rhetland falls heir to Rhetland and Morar
We have seen that Donald or James (the deaf mute), the oldest son of Capt. Allan MacDonald, was heir to the Rhetland property. After his death, which occurred between 50 and 60 years ago, his brother Alexander or Sandy, then living in Judique, C. B., being next in age, succeeded as heir to the Estate.
Just about this time, the Morar Estate became vacant by the death of the heir, who was unmarried, and Sandy, being next of kin, became heir to Rhetland and Morar. It was thus:
Angus MacDonald of Rhetland was brother to John MacDonald of Morar. Capt. Allan MacDonald of Rhetland was first cousin to John MacDonald of Morar, son of the above.
Sandy Rhetland of Rhetland was second cousin to son of above last heir. the last heir of Morar's was foolish, and the estate was administered by executors, Dr. Colin MacDonald, brother of Mrs. Hugh MacDonald of Geo'town was the chief one.
When the last heir of Morar died, Allan, the son of Donald, the brother of Capt. Allan, was at once despatched to Cape Breton to announce to Sandy that he was heir to the Rhetland and Morar Estates, and to advise him to return at once to Scotland to take charge of his property.
Sandy's wife, who was a clever, energetic woman, proposed to start at once and take their family; but Sandy, who was slow in all his movements and never in a hurry, deferred his departure to the fall, when he took very ill, and, during the following winter died. Had Sandy listened to his wife's counsels, things would be very different today, and Sandy's descendants would be in possession of Rhetland and Morar.
For some unaccountable reason, Sandy's wife and children took no steps to take possession of the estate. It remained vacant for some time, and Allan (or Ronald) Guernish MacDonald, living at Cornwall, Ont., put forward his claims as next of kin to the late heirs of Rhetland and Morar.
Guernish's claim came only after that of the Rhetlands. It was this way: Guernish's grandfather was only a half-brother to John MacDonald, the grandfather of the last heir of Morar, whilst Sandy Rhetland's grandfather was a full brother to the grandfather of the last heir of Morar. Therefore, Sandy Rhetland was second cousin to the last heir of Morar, whereas Guernish was only half second cousin, or a degree further removed from the heirship.
The Rhetlands made no move and Guernish took the matter in hand. He came to P. E. I. and got himself invested with the powers of attorney by his three aunts - Mrs. MacDonald, the Queen of Tracadie, Mrs Ronald MacDonald of the Lake, the mother of Mgr. James MacDonald, and Mrs Alex. MacDonald of Bear River, the mother of Capt. Roderick of Souris, promising to give them a share.
He placed the matter in the courts and he was placed in possession through perjury. It is hard to say it - it is nevertheless true - he got possession of the Estate through perjury. As Guernish visited the Island, and remained sometime on it, and as the matter of his and the Rhetlands' claims were much discussed, it is next to impossible to suppose that he did not hear that there were Rhetlands living on P. E. I. Yet Aeneas MacDonald, of Morar, told me in Montreal, in 1880, that he was present when it was sworn to in court in Scotland that the Rhetland Branch of Morar were all extinct; which, if true, would give the Estate to Guernish, as, in point of fact, it did. Aeneas, moreover, stated that the story of Capt. Allan's drowning was all gone over in court, and that, if it had not been sworn to that the Rhetlands were extinct, and if the proper heir, the Rhetlands, had put in an appearance, he would have been placed in possession without any delay.
After Guernish had been placed in possession of the property he immediately married a daughter of the lawyer, who was one of the executors. This fact may help to explain how, not being the real heir, he obtained possession so easily. Another point proving a want of honesty on his part is the fact that, instead of settling down on the fine old Morar property, he at once sold the Estate to different parties for a mere trifle, (24,000 pounds). Needless to observe, he gave not a sou to his aunts in P. E. I.
The property was bought up chiefly by Lord Lovat (Fraser) of Beaufort Castle, Mrs, Cameron, Campbell, John A. MacDonald of Glenaladale, Aeneas MacDonald of Scotus, and a Mr Astley, an English gentleman, who purchased nearly all the property known as the Rhetland Estate. Aeneas bought a portion of the Morar Estate and sold again a portion of it at a profit of $50,000.00.
Whilst Aeneas was telling the writer all about the manner in which Guernish got possession, he was not aware there were Rhetlands living, and when I assured him of he fact, he seemed for a time dumbfounded, and then added, after a while, "he hoped we would not disturb him". (Nous Verrons)
Efforts have been recently made to secure this property for the rightful owners, but it is very difficult to find the records of marriages and baptisms, and, as the men who are in possession are men of ample means, it will be no easy matter to dispossess them. It would require more money that the heirs will be willing to contribute, and the great probability is the matter will end in talk.
Ronald MacDonald, Rhetland, ancestor of the Rhetlands of South Lake, East Point had the following children:
Catherine, Flora, Mary, Jessie, Angus, Allan, Donald, Ronald, John Augustus.
Catherine - married to Alex MacDonald, Antigonish, at the Lake.
Flora - married to John McEachern, Crooked River. John married to niece of (James of the Factory, Souris) McIntosh, the Excheater. Angus married to a Miss McIsaac, dead.
Mary - married to Donald MacLean (Protestant), West River. Their children: John (a Catholic) married to Nancy MacDonald, sister of Laughlin MacDonald, Bothwell. Dan in the U. S. A. Mary Ann in the U. S. A. Maggie dead. Eliza dead. Joseph married to Ethel Stewart, Convert, and daughter of Donald Stewart. Margery (Catholic) in U. S. A. Mary (Catholic) in U. S. A. Susan (Protestant) in U. S. A. Flora (Protestant) in U. S. A. Johanna. Jane (Protestant) who remained on homestead and married John Stewart - their children Louis, Lina, Cordilla.
Jessie - married to Angus McDonald, Broad Cove, C. B. Their children: Mary, Angus, Andrew, John.
Angus - his children: Ronald never married, John Married Mary McDonald (Marsh), Louis married Miss MacKinnon, Katie - Mrs Hayes, N. S. Albert, Pius, Angus, Louis drowned about 1870, Agnes married to John McIsaac, Mary married to Donald Gillis (Louis, George), Jessie married to Laughlin MacDonald, Bothwell (Laughlin is a son of Big Donald Dr. and nephew of Ronald MacDonald of Quebec. The latter was born at Priest Pond of John MacDonald and Margaret. His nephew, Alexander McDonald, still lives at Priest Pond), Bella and Flora in California, Nancy dead.
Allan - his children: John, dead, children Annabelle, Mary, Catherine lived with aunt on homestead, Augustus not married, Nancy not married, Bella and Allan dead, Ronald dead - married had no issue.
Donald - Mary - married to Fitzgerald in U.S., Ronald husband of Mrs Ronald Rhetland, Souris, Augustus died single, Dan died single, Kate married in U. S. A. no family, Jane married to Thos. Stark, Gloucester, Jerome married to Miss Beaton, C. B. sold out and went to U. S. (foolish), Joseph married in U. S., Annie married in U. S.
Ronald - his children: Belle, married to John McCarthy, Boston, Ronald married Jas. R. McLean's sister, drowned, Dan married to daughter of James Beaton, their children James, Roland, Mary Ann, Mary Anne died single, Johanna married to Jandel in Newark N. J., James married to sister of Malcolm Campbell, (Annie Mary Florence, Ronald, George, Louis), Flora married to Dan Morrison, Peter married to Ellen McKeoughan, John died single, half-brothers - John Aeneas in S. Africa, Louis in Boston, half-sister: Mary Jane married to John Pierce. (Handwritten note: in the Catholic cemetery in Pictou N. S. there is a gravestone for Angus McDonald "Rhaddlaw" - 1812-1885. His wife was Mary McLean - 1808-1891. Probably he was one of this family.)
John - his children: Annabella married, Dan married to Ellen Beaton (Mary Ellen, John Alfred), Ronald drowned, Margaret married to Hammond (Cassie, John, Ronald, A.L. Montcalm), Flora (Joseph, Angus, Charles, Susan), Maria married to Pat. McIntyre, son of Capt, McIntyre.
Ronald McDonald of Quebec had four brothers - Angus, John, Donald (father of Laughlin), Joseph (father of Alek.). Two sisters who married Roderick Dr. and Alek. Dr. and another brother married to Mrs. Griffin's mother, another sister married to Sam Ross.

Capt. John MacDonald of Glenaladale
Capt. John MacDonald of Glenaladale was one of the most distinguished men in Scotland in his day. He was an accomplished scholar, speaking, it is said, seven languages.
Seeing the civil and religious persecution to which his countrymen were subjected, he organised an emigration to Prince Edward Island, and, to provide funds for the project, he sold Glenaladale to Alexander MacDonald, commonly known as Golden Sandy. This Sandy was a great grand-uncle to the Rev. R. B. MacDonald. The emigrants reached the Island in the ship Alexander in 1772. (Handwritten note: A small party of about 17 had come out the previous …… to make ….. One of these was half brother of Andrew MacD….)
Here, it may be well to observe, that the first Scotch colony, who emigrated to the Island, was an ideal one. They had their chaplain, the Rev. James MacDonald, and physician, Dr Roderick MacDonald.
The colony counted among its members some of the best blood in Scotland. Besides Capt. John MacDonald of Tracadie, who directed the emigration, there were his first cousins, Ronald MacDonald of Tracadie, and Donald MacDonald of Allissary, and also Donald MacDonald of Bornish. These were all gentlemen of means, who came to the Island, accompanied by their servants. They were all in a position to purchase large tracts of land, on which their descendants are living to this day. Many of their descendants have been, or are still priests on the Island. Among others, I may mention the late Bp. B. D. MacDonald, Rev. John MacDonald (died in England), Very Rev. Dr. Dan MacDonald, all of whom have gone to their reward; whilst the following are still doing good work in their various spheres, viz., the Rt. Rev. Dr. James Charles MacDonald, the present Bishop, Mgr. James MacDonald, Rev. D. M. MacDonald, Rev. D. F. MacDonald, Rev. R. B. MacDonald, Rev. Jas. Ae. MacDonald, Rev. Gregory MacDonald, the Revs. John A. and John J. MacDonald, Rev. Ignatius MacDonald, Rev. Allan J. MacDonald, Rev. John Allister MacDonald, S. J., Rev. Allan MacDonald S. J., Rev. Francis MacDonald, Rev. Laughlin MacDonald, Revs. John and Augustine MacDonald (U. S.).
When the war of 1812 broke out, Capt. John MacDonald was one of the most prominent leaders in the defence of his adopted country. It is currently handed down, that the Governership of the Island was offered him by the English Government; but he had to decline it, in as much as the oath then required to be taken was such, as no good Catholic could subscribe to. Besides the Tracadie Estate, I believe Capt. John owned nearly all of Fort Augustus.
Capt. John was married first to Miss Gordon, and after her death he married Miss MacDonald Guernish, a sister to the mother of Mgr. James MacDonald. He had as children:
Donald - married to Miss Brecken (William, the Montreal millionaire, single, Ralph Augustine, in the U. S. A., Helen dead, Margaret Dead, Annie died in Convent, John at Tracadie, P. E. I.).
Father John - a fine scholar, officiated for years on P. E. I., was professor in Grand Seminary, Quebec. Died at Brighton, England.
Capt. Roderick - a paymaster in the English Army, married to a daughter of Glengarry, had two children (John Allister, a Jesuit, Elizabeth, a nun).
William - died in passage on way to College in England.
Flora Anna Maria - married to Alex. MacDonald, Glengarry, nephew Bp. MacDonald, Kingston: (John dead, Father Allan, S. J., Helen married to Dr. Colin MacDonald, Glengarry, Margaret Mrs. Brennan, Henrietta died a nun in the Ursulines Quebec). Lieutenant Allan MacDonald, the husband of Flora, belonged to Glengarry, and he and his wife lived for many years there, and then came to the Island and lived on Flora's portion of the Estate. The three girls were educated at the Ursulines, Quebec, and John and Allan in St. Andrew's College, the latter going to Montreal to complete his course at the Jesuit College.

Donald MacDonald was the founder of the house of Allissary, St. Andrew's P. E. I.
Donald MacDonald was first cousin to Capt. John MacDonald, Glenaladale. Thus: Donald MacDonald of Allissary was son of Angus MacDonald, and Capt. John was son of Alexander, the brother of Angus. Alexander and Angus were sons of MacDonald of Glenaladale. Angus had rented Borodale and lived on it. It was on Angus Borodale's place that Prince Charlie landed in 1745.
Angus MacDonald of Borodale had children:
Donald - the founder of Allissary.
John - the grandfather of Mrs. Hugh MacDonald, Georgetown.
Ronald - eldest, grandfather of Archie MacDonald, Pamure Island.
Alexander or Golden Sandy - Golden Sandy went to Jamaica, where he owned a large coffee plantation. He married a commissary's daughter - a widow with two children. She was immensely rich. The children died on their way to England, whither they were proceeding for their education. Sandy and his wife agreed, that, whichever of them would die first, would leave all his or her fortune to the survivor. Mrs MacDonald died first, and thus Sandy became immensely rich. He returned to Scotland, married an aunt of Mrs. Hugh MacDonald (Geo'town), and bought Glenaladale from Capt. John MacDonald. Golden Sandy had but one son - Alexander, who never married and on his death, the Estate fell to the family of Ronald, Golden Sandy's brother, in the person of John MacDonald, who was a first cousin to Angus MacDonald of Allissary, the father of the late Bp. B. D. MacDonald. The present Laird, John MacDonald is a third cousin to Rev. R. B. MacDonald.
Golden Sandy was brother to Donald MacDonald Allissary. Hi son Alexander died single. The Estate fell to Golden Sandy's brother Ronald's son, viz.:
John MacDonald, was first cousin to Angus MacDonald Allissary, father of
Rev. Donald MacDonald, second cousin to Bp. B. D. MacDonald, uncle to
John MacDonald, present Laird, was third cousin to Rev. R. B. MacDonald

Relationship of Mrs. Brennan to John, Laird of Glenfinnan
Capt. John MacDonald (Glenaladale) was first cousin to Alexander MacDonald (Golden Sandy)
Flora, second cousin to John MacDonald (Sandy's nephew)
Mrs. Brennan, third cousin to Rev. Donald MacDonald
Mrs. Brennan, third and fourth cousin to John MacDonald (Rev. D. MacDonald's nephew)

Relationship of Mrs. Brennan to Rev. R. B. MacDonald
Donald MacDonald, first cousin to Capt. John MacDonald (Allissary)
Angus MacDonald second cousin to Flora Anna Maria (Allissary)
Jane MacDonald, third cousin to Margaret (Mrs, Brennan)
Rev. R. B. MacDonald third and fourth cousin to Mrs. Brennan.

Donald MacDonald, the founder of the house of Allissary, came from Arisaig, Scotland, in 1772, to P. E. Island in the ship Alexander, with the rest of the Scotch Highlanders, who emigrated under the direction of Capt. John MacDonald. The vessel was chartered to land the emigrants to Portage on the East River; but on reaching the Block House, the Captain of the vessel wished to land them on the Warren Farm. Donald MacDonald, however, wrote to the Governor, enclosing his papers, whereupon the Governor ordered his pilots to go aboard and ordered the Captain to move at once up the river to Portage.
Donald of Allissary lived at Portage a year or so, then went to St. Peter's Bay where he remained about three years.
The Allissary folks brought with them provisions for two years. After they were nearly consumed, and a good deal of their money spent, they thought to return to Scotland but, finding no good opportunity, they made up their minds to stay on the Island and purchased 500 acres at Allissary and settled thereon about 1776.
When Donald MacDonald came to the Island he had as his body servant Murdock McKay (the father in law of Hugh Bornish MacDonald).
Donald MacDonald of Allissary was married to Jane, daughter of Ian Ogg MacDonald. They had the following children: Angus, John, Allan, Mary, Catherine, Nellie.
Angus - married to Penay, daughter of Dr. Roderick MacDonald. (Ronald - Pisquid - Alexander (Round Sandy), Alexander died single, Donald the late Bp. B. D. MacDonald, John father of Alexander, Augustine died single, Joseph father of Rev. A. J. MacDonald, Catherine married to Allan MacDonald, St. Peter's Lake, Jane the mother of Rev. R. B. MacDonald, Nellie married to Wm. MacDonald Tracadie, Jinny mother of Rev. D. F. MacDonald).
John - his children: (John father of Bp. James Charles MacDonald, Donald father of Angus MacDonald, Bedeque, Augustine, Alexander died in U. S., Nellie married Donald Ch…. and mother of Capt. Joe Cardigan, Nancy married to Angus Dr. and uncle of Leo Dr.'s, Jane married to James North Pole and mother of John North Pole).
Allan - his children: (Angus lost coming from Newfoundland, Jane died single).
James - his children: (Settled in Tracadie and had a daughter married to Sandy McEachern, nephew of Bp. McEachern).
Mary - married to Alex. MacDonald, the father of Angus Bann, father of Rev. Jas. Ae. MacDonald.
Nellie - married to Donald MacDonald, father of John Bornish, father of Rev. D. M. MacDonald.
Catherine - married to Angus MacDonald, Maple Hill, and grand aunt of Capt. Sandy, the father of Rev. Ignatius MacDonald.
Angus was brother to Mary.
Jane was first cousin to Angus Bann.
Rev. R. B. MacDonald was second cousin to Rev. Jas. Ae. MacDonald.
Angus was brother to Nellie
Jane was first cousin to John Bornish
Rev. R. B. MacDonald was second cousin to Rev. D. M. MacDonald.

Doctor Roderick MacDonald, the head of this family, came from the Isle of Ega, Scotland, in the "Alexander" in 1772. The good Highlanders very wisely provided themselves with a physician as well as a chaplain.
Dr. Roderick studied medicine in Holland. He was the doctor of the garrison in Charlottetown in his day. He lived near John MacDonald in Tracadie. He was regarded as a very successful physician. He was drowned in Tracadie Bay whilst returning on the ice from holding an inquest. His body was not recovered until the spring. Two of his nephews in Scotland were saddlers, and they sent him saddles for each of his children.
Children: Dr. Roderick was married to firs cousin of Capt. John MacDonald, Sandy Dr. and Roderick Dr. - Leo Donald Dr. - Alexander, Sup. of P. E. I. R. R.; Pansy mother of Jane, mother of Rev. R. B. MacDonald; Angus married to Nancy - aunt of Bp. Chs, - Mary married, Arch Donald (Charles).

Donald MacDonald of Tracadie
Donald MacDonald, the head of the Tracadie family of that name came out with his brother, Father James with the Capt. John MacDonald's colony in 1772. Donald was a first cousin of Capt. John. He was the father of Ronald, the father of Angus, the father of Rev. R. B. MacDonald.
Donald was married in Scotland to Catherine, a daughter of Ian Ogg MacDonald. When he came to the Island, he had as servant Martin MacGillivray (the grandfather of the late Joseph MacGillivray who died in the States). Donald settled and died in Tracadie. His son, Ronald, married Isabella MacDonald of Rhetland, and moved to Bedeque, where the wife possessed 1000 acres of land as her portion of the Bedeque Estate. It was this Ronald who accompanied his uncle Father James on his missions and served his Mass.
Amongst other places visited by Ronald with his uncle was Arichat. Some forty years afterwards, a Capt. Boudrault came over from Arichat to Budique Bay, now Summerside, with a cargo of herring for sale. Ronald, who was then residing in Bedeque, on the place now occupied by his grandson, D. H. MacDonald, met this Capt. Boudrault and, on learning from him that he was from Arichat, he observed that, when he was a boy, he accompanied his uncle Father James to Arichat. Now the Captain was of an age with Ronald, and the moment he learned he was the young lad who served the mass of the first priest who visited Arichat after the Conquest, he put his arms around his neck and kissed him. Whenever afterwards he visited the Island, he never failed to pay Ronald a visit. His sons continued to do likewise, and when they ceased to cross to Bedeque, they continued for years to send a barrel of the very best herring as a present to Ronald.
After his uncle's death in 1785, Ronald used to baptise and marry the Scotch people until the arrival of Father McEachern in 1790. On account of his having accompanied his uncle so much on the missions, he was regarded as quite an authority on church matters.

Children of Donald MacDonald of Tracadie
Ronald - Married Isabella Rhetland: (Catherine married John MacDonald, Seven Mile Bay - Ronald S'Side, William, Isabella; Jinny married to Donald Allissary - Angus, John, Catherine, Matilda, Martha, Daniel, Isabella, Ronald, Joseph; Nellie died single; Angus married Jane Allissary - Matilda, Rose Ann, Angus, Donald H., Catherine, Penelope, John, Isabella, Ronald B., Joseph)
Alexander - Married to Miss MacDonald, Guernish, a half sister of the "Queen" of Tracadie, lived in Bear River (St. Margarets): Capt. Roderick ("The Beard"), Souris, father of James N. Y. married Miss MacCrea; Capt. John, Georgetown, father of Alexander of MacDonald Bros., married a sister of Allan the Pilot; Capt. Ronald, father of Joseph A., Land Office, Ch'town, married a Highland lady; Donald, Esq. at Bear River, married Miss Fisher; James single; Anastasia married John MacDonald of Garahilee.
John - Married to Helen Lawson - 1803: Donald married, lives on Souris Line Road, Married to Miss McIntyre; Mary married John McLellan (Big John); Helen Jane married Archie McLellan; Jane married Stephen North Pole; Pansy married John MacDonald; John at home; Joseph in Ch'town; Eliza married to Round Sandy; Anna married to Moses Burns; Margaret married to Chas. Fisher, Little Pond; Angus; David.
James married Mary MacDonald, Orwell, lives in Grand Tracadie; David married a sister of Dr. James
David married a sister of Dr. James, lived and died in Miramichi, father of Father John, Chatham diocese.
Eliza married Arch. MacDonald, Pamure Island: William father of Dr. John, Montreal; Donald; John; Isabella; Nellie married to David McAulay, Geo'town; Catherine married to Dan MacKinnon, Melrose.
Nellie married to Ronald the Lake, mother of Mgr. James MacDonald, lived at St. Peter's Lake.
Anabella married to John McIntyre: John the Summerside Hotel Proprietor: Joseph: Dan: Mrs. Albert McKinnon, Brackley Pt.
Peggy married to Joseph MacDonald Allissary: Rev. Allan J. MacDonald; Augustine MacDonald.
James married to first cousin of Hugh MacDonald, Geo'town: Mary married to Ronald MacDonald, Grand Tracadie: Dr. James Noston; Flora married to John McIntyre; Catherine married to Charles M., Orudl.; Bella married John Angus; John Freetown. John James in Tracadie; Donald James in Freetown; Stephen died; William died on way to California.
Augustine - Donald, in Tracadie; Angus; James.
Nellie married to Alexander MacDonald of Apple Valley: Ronald, Apple Valley, father of Father Joseph; Andrew married, no issue; Angus single; John, the Forks, Vernon River; John (Junior) married to Charley John's sister, no issue; Allan married to Bella, one of the Gerahillees: Angus Allan; two Christian Bros. in California. Joseph.

The Rev. James MacDonald
the Reverend James MacDonald, as already mentioned, was brother of Donald MacDonald, the head of the Tracadie MacDonalds and first cousin of Capt. John MacDonald of Glenaladale, came out from Scotland in 1772, with the first Scottish emigrants as their chaplain.
Father James studied in France. He was a scholarly gentleman, speaking and writing French with great elegance. He came on this journey with missionary faculties from the Propaganda, and, on his arrival on the Island, he wrote to the Bishop of Quebec announcing his mission, and placing himself under his episcopal jurisdiction. In one of his letters to the Bishop of Quebec, he observes that he was the first priest to visit the Island since the English Conquest in 1758. He mentions, too, that he baptised, sub conditione, many who were married. He mentions, also, that many young persons had never seen a priest, and very many young people had never assisted at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
When the Scotch Highlanders came out in 1772, the French churches were no longer standing, and so the Scotch built a small church at Scotch Fort, near the old French cemetery. Bp. McEachern officiated in this church for some time after he came to the Island.
Father James passed the greater part of the first winter with the French at Malpec ……… after his arrival a boat load of Acadians came over from Cologne, near Shediac, to make their Easter duty. They said they had not seen a priest for eleven years. They wished to take Father MacDonald almost by force to New Brunswick, and make him their cure, whereupon the poor Acadians of Malpec said that, if he went, they would all follow. Father James told them not to fear for, as he was engaged by the Scotch Highlanders, he would have to remain on the Island.
Father James ministered not only to the Scotch and the French of P. E. I., but also visited Cape Breton, and the Gulf Shore of Nova Scotia, and many parts of New Brunswick from 1772 to his death in 1785. No other priest had visited P. E. Island from the Conquest, 1758, till his death. Father James died of Inflammation of the lungs (due) from exposure to cold and was buried in the old French cemetery.
From his death in 1785 till the arrival of Father McEachern from Scotland in 1790, no priest resided on the Island. A few passing visits by a priest from Halifax and Pere Rosen from New Brunswick afforded all the religious ministrations the poor people received during that time. In 1790 Father McEachern arrived and was in sole charge of the missions of Father James till 1799, when the Abbes Callone and Pichard relieved him of the care of the Acadian missions on the Island. However, they left soon - the latter in 1803, and the former in 1804. Father McEachern was alone once more till 1812, when Father Beaubien came from Quebec. He returned in 1818 and was replaced by Pere Cecile who left after Bp. MacDonald's ordination in 1822.
In connection with the Scottish Emigration, I may mention that in 1802, Father James Augustine MacDonald, known as Mister Uistan, the brother of Capt. John MacDonald, who had served on the missions in Scotland, came to the Island on the sick list. He lived at Tracadie and attended, as much as his health permitted, to the spiritual wants of the Highlanders living there. He died at St. Peter's Lake in 1806. He was bled for pleurisy, and not being able to stop the flow of blood, he bled to death. He was buried beside his first cousin in the French cemetery.

THE FAMILY OF IAN OGG (Supposed to be the descendants of the MhicDhugail of Morar)
I know very little of the family of Ian Ogg, any more than my great grandfathers, Donald of Allissary and Donald MacDonald of Tracadie, were married to his daughters.
Ian Ogg had the following children:
Jane - married to Donald MacDonald of Allissary, the father of Angus, the father of Jane, mother of Rev. R. B. MacDonald.
Catherine - married to Donald MacDonald of Tracadie, the father of Ronald, father of Angus, father of the Rev. R. B. M.
Margaret - married to Angus MacDonald, grandfather of Jim, North Pole.
Angus - went to Nova Scotia, was the grandfather of Judge Hugh MacDonald of Antigonish.
James Hugh, a priest - the same who came with the Highland colony to Pictou in 1793. He lost his mind, was sent to Quebec where he died in hospital. (He was named after his uncle, Bishop Hugh MacDonald of Morar)
(This family had the distinctive name of "Ghaotral" indicating that they came from that place in Arisaig, Scotland)
(Ian Og was stated to be of the Guidale - Morar family)
Rev. R. B. MacDonald is related to Father James, Father James Augustine, and the Nova Scotia Father James who came out in 1792.
Donald MacDonald of Tracadie, brother to Father James of 1772.
Ronald MacDonald of Tracadie, nephew to Father James of 1771.
Angus MacDonald of Tracadie, grand-nephew to Father James of 1772.
Rev. R. B. MacDonald of Tracadie, gr. grand-nephew to Father James of 1772.
Mrs. Donald MacDonald of Tracadie, sister to Father James of 1792.
Ronald MacDonald of Tracadie, nephew to Father James of 1792.
Angus MacDonald of Tracadie, grand-nephew to Father James of 1792.
Rev. R. B. MacDonald of Tracadie, gr. grand-nephew to Father James of 1792.

Donald MacDonald of Allissary, first cousin to Father James Augustine.
Angus MacDonald of Allissary, first and second cousin to Father James Augustine.
Jane MacDonald of Allissary, second and third cousin to Father James Augustine.
Rev. R. B. MacDonald of Allissary, third and fourth cousin to Father James Augustine.