Cattle imports by sea from the Outer Isles
Drovers who used the route to Lochaline took their beasts from Morvern
to the shores of Loch Sunart. At Strontian where, besides the lead mine
developed by the York Buildings Company in 1730, there was a cattle market,
they would be joined by droves which were sometimes landed from the Outer
Isles at Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan and 'the creek of Salen' on Loch Sunart,
or at the western end of Loch Shiel by boats from the islands which entered
the loch by the River Shiel for return cargoes of timber."